Why Your Company Should Avoid SEO Experts Promising “Guaranteed Results”
Honest SEO experts will tell you that there are no guarantees. Any expert or company who tries to promise you the “#1 spot” isn’t being truthful. You should run far away from such companies. Google itself warns under its general guidelines that “no one can guarantee a #1 ranking” and that you should “beware of SEO companies that allege a ‘special relationship’ with Google”.
Search engine optimization companies do not own Google, Yahoo, or Bing. They do not have any special relationship with any search engine. They therefore cannot guarantee rankings.
There are a number of factors that determine search engine rankings. In 2014, the most important factors included:
- Quality of content
- Technology and performance of website
- Social signals
- User signals
- Quality and (to a lesser degree) quantity of back-links
- User experience
Imagine how many hours must be put into all of these on a daily basis. SEO companies must also keep up with all of the latest algorithm changes, which happen regularly. Even if they do put in all of the effort required, there is still not a guarantee that your site will make it to #1, since trends change every day. Most industries are saturated right now and it’s very difficult to stay ahead of the competition.
Another reason why you should not trust SEO experts that guarantee specific results is that they might use underhanded tactics that will get your site banned. They might try to spam search engine algorithms and build links the wrong way. It doesn’t matter to Google if the SEO service providers are the ones doing the underhanded tactics, it’s you who will get the blame for it.
Keep in mind that not all SEO companies are bad. Some of them are honest and do everything the right way. It is worthwhile to work with these companies since they will increase your chances of getting a high rank.
Google recommends that you asked a search engine optimization company the following questions before hiring:
- Do you follow the official Google Webmaster Guidelines?
- What is your experience in Toronto (or nearby area)?
- May I see examples of your previous work?
- Can you share success stories from your previous clients?
- What techniques do you use?
- How does your company measure success?
- What communication methods do you offer?
- Will you provide detailed information about what you are doing with my site?
- Will I be notified of any changes you make?
- Are you able to develop a custom plan based on the goals I provide you with?
- Do you offer any other type of marketing services with SEO?
Never trust a company that doesn’t explain clearly what they are planning to do. If something is unclear, ask for an explanation. If they still don’t explain to your satisfaction, walk away. Remember, it’s YOUR company that they are optimizing for, so they shouldn’t withhold any information about what they are doing.
It’s in your best interest to learn the basics of search engine optimization and to familiarize yourself with the Google, Yahoo, and Bing webmaster guidelines. That way, you’ll have a better idea of what to look for in SEO experts.