How do I choose the best e-commerce platform?
Are you planning on opening an online store? Or do you already have one and want to find a new e-commerce platform to use? Finding the best e-commerce platform is one of the most important things for any online business owner to do. There are many to choose from, and many offer some great features and benefits. However, you must decide which one would be best for your company and needs.
Some factors to consider include:
- What you are selling: Some platforms are designed to handle physical products while others are built to handle digital products or services. If you are selling physical products, you will need a platform that offers a way to track inventory. Also, how many options do the products come with in regards to color, sizing, etc…? Whatever you plan to sell, use a platform that will be able to handle all of your specific needs.
- Ease of integration with your tools: If you are already using tools for email marketing, accounting, referral marketing, and so forth, you’ll need an e-commerce solution that will allow you to integrate your preferred tools with the platform. The services you are using might offer recommendations to a specific e-commerce solution.
- Design options: Do you want to use your own design or use a pre-built theme? If you want to use your own, choose a platform that makes it easy to upload and use a layout made from scratch. If you want to use a pre-built theme, look over the portfolios of different platforms to see which one offers the type of theme you are looking for.
- Hosting: Another thing to decide on is a hosting plan. Many start-up businesses choose to have their new stores hosted by a reliable platform because they come with features such as a shopping cart and secure checkout process that are easy to implement. If you want to go with your own hosting from another company, you will find that some platforms are compatible with third parties.
Top E-Commerce Platforms
Now that you know what to look for, here are some of the top platforms you might want to consider.
- Magento: Currently the global leader, Magento is in alliance with eBay. It offers multiple customization options and makes it easy for you to market specific products to certain segments of users.
- Shopify: With this platform, you can choose from some great pre-designed templates that simplify the process of store development. Even with the pre-designed templates, Shopify allows personalization. You don’t have to add a third-party system to handle payments and the shipping process.
- osCommerce: A dynamic e-commerce solution, osCommerce comes with a powerful CMS that can be tweaked to match your business requirements. It’s also powered by technologies such as PHP and MySQL, and allows for integration with other CRM, CMS, and third party apps if required.
- WooCommerce: You can create marketing campaigns and implement promotional activities for the purpose of enhancing your business with this platform. WooCommerce is among the most widely used WordPress plugins for e-commerce. It offers a powerful inventory system that allows you to keep stock of products in real time.
If you’re still looking for the best e-commerce platform, some other solutions to look into include OpenCart, Prestashop, BigCommerce, Selz, and InfusionSoft.