How Small Businesses in Ottawa Can Use SEO for Growth
If you have a small business in Ottawa, you may be feeling overshadowed by larger, established companies. If you don’t use SEO correctly, you can easily feel invisible. How can you expect traffic to your website if nobody can even find it? Even if you do get traffic, how do you get people to trust you?
When used correctly, SEO gives small companies the opportunity to reach out to the right audience. It’s an ongoing process that can take some time and hard work, but it’s definitely worth the energy you put into it.
Here are some simple search engine optimization tactics that you can do as a small business owner:
– You should start by reading Google Webmaster Guidelines to learn how to properly setup your website so that search engine crawlers can index your page. You will also learn how to provide a sitemap file with links pointing to the essential pages on your site. It’s important to learn what NOT to do, as some mistakes can hinder growth. They can even be counter-productive. For instance, you do not want to use the same keyword too many times on a page of content.
– Speaking of which, you must learn – at the very least – the basics of keywords and how they should be used. Use keyword finder tools that will generate a list of keywords and phrases that deal with your industry.
– Don’t spend too much money on trying to create your brand right now. What’s more important is giving people a reason to trust you. This is achieved by providing answers to common questions about whatever niche you’re involved in. Work to establish yourself as an expert in your field. Your brand will grow as your reputation as an expert grows.
– Content is one area where you really need to put a large amount of focus. Search engines love quality content – especially if it’s original. Don’t just rehash articles and blog posts that other people have already written and published. Think about the lesser-known topics of your industry that your competitors haven’t covered yet. The more original the content, the better. Also, use relevant keywords.
– One way small businesses can stay competitive with larger companies is localization. Local SEO is becoming more and more important. Search engines are now serving customized results based on user location. You must be consistent on all of your local business listings and directory pages. Use the same company name, physical address, phone number, email address, etc. on all pages associated with your company.
– Leverage partnerships. If you are associated with any organizations in Ottawa, you could get backlinks from them. All you need to do is contact partner websites and ask for link placement. You can also offer to contribute to local blogs as well as your own. If your content is really interesting and well-written, people will want to share it.
Before investing in SEO services in Ottawa, make sure you have a basic understanding of SEO principles yourself. Only work with a company with a good reputation. They should be able to offer you a custom strategy designed just for your business. Avoid any provider that tries to make outstanding guarantees, like getting you the “#1 spot within a month”.