SEO-Friendly Site Url Structure
The ever-changing search engine algorithms have only made life more difficult for businesses in Ottawa, looking to get ranked in SERPS. Because the number of ranking factors just keeps increasing every year and there’s no room for error anymore.
In the recent times, one of these factors that has been a subject of perpetual debate, is the ‘URL structure’.
What is the ideal URL structure for a webpage? Does it need to be long? Short? Should it include keywords? Should it include the categories?
There’s a lot of theories floating around about what works and what doesn’t.
Based on our successful case studies, this is what we found out.
There is no single URL structure that works for everyone. It should ideally be tailored according to the type of website.
But there are some basics that apply for all websites.
- A Focused URL: As much as possible, try to have a focused URL with minimum stop words like ‘the’, ‘of’ etc. You can also remove ‘verbs’ from the URL because apart from increasing the length of the URL, it does not add any value to it.
- Length: Human readers will prefer shorter URLS because its easier for them to read. So, you may have better click through rates in SERPS if you have a short and focused URL. Having said that, longer URLS are also ranked by Google. We have seen numerous examples where webpages with extremely long URLs are ranked on the #1 position. But do the users click on it? That’s a different story altogether.
- Dashes: Use dashes as separators rather than underscores.
URL according to website type
We will use three categories to group together the different types of websites on the internet.
- Blogs: If you have a blog then there are many ways to create the right URL. One of the easiest ones that works best with most blogs is the URL with the Post Title.
This is SEO friendly and signals to Google about the topic of the article. If your Post Title has your target keyword in it, then even better.
If you have a news blog with multiple categories, then you can consider adding the topic as the category to make it easier for users and search engines to understand what the page is about.
- E-Commerce websites: If you have an E-commerce shop in Ottawa, with products in multiple categories, then the ideal URL structure will be
If you are using a content management system like magento, ensure that you use canonicalization where appropriate.
- Company Websites: Company websites should focus on using the shortest URL possible.
The fact is that SEO friendly URLs are dependent on the type of website, over anything else. The idea should be to keep it focused, short and easy to understand for both users and search engines.
Since search engine bots cannot read the actual URL, try to keep it as simple as possible devoid of any unwanted characters and words.
If you are new to SEO, then speak to an SEO consultant in Ottawa to help you with creating the right URL structure.