Learn How to Build Back Links and Common Mistakes to Avoid
Start building links effectively
Link building has and will probably always be one of the most challenging SEO tactics to implement. Make one wrong move and you could end up being penalized by Google after working so hard on your rankings for years. Before we get started on how to build back links that will enhance site rankings and traffic, let’s look at some link building techniques you should always avoid.
• For starters, stay away from low-quality links. Getting numerous poor quality links from untrusted sources adds no value to your web pages. Google understands this and that’s why they penalize sites that are caught up in the act.
• Secondly, make sure you trust the agency working on your SEO Toronto. It’s always recommended to hire SEO specialists to do the heavy work for you but make sure the people you choose to partner with are not only competent but also understand the current trends.
• You also need to avoid using exact match anchor text. The anchor texts used on your website should be relevant to the content on that page. Don’t just stuff keywords on the anchor text, make sure they’re relevant if you want the page to rank better.
• Most importantly, avoid black hat SEO techniques if you don’t want to be penalized by Google. Google will notice if you obtain a large number of links within a short period of time and penalize your site for it. Don’t look for shortcuts such as using people’s content to boost your on-page SEO. Google will soon take notice and penalize you.
Should you disavow a link?
One of the best link building practices is knowing when to accept or disavow links. Don’t be quick to accept links unless they are relevant and add value to your website’s current content. If you notice a link appears to be too promotional or spammy then do not accept it. Also, do your research to make sure that the site you are linking to is relevant to your users. Remember that if you link to a site that Google sees as having spammy content, your site will also be affected. Do not link with sites that contain malicious code or pages that are yet to be indexed by Google. Some sites may have a low domain authority but really good content. In such cases, it makes sense to link to it.
In a nutshell, below are a few sites you should avoid linking to:
• Sites that are malicious or suspicious such as porn and gambling sites
• Sites that have keyword-stuffed anchor links
• Link farms and link exchange websites
• Sites that are not relevant to your niche
• Sites that have a high spam-risk score
You need to start by identifying any potentially bad links on your website. You can do this by performing a backlink audit. By using a tool such as SEMrush, you can easily get a list of all the sites that are linking to your website. Start by removing the sites that you’ve never heard of from that list. Check for sites that have unusual anchor text or with foreign language and get rid of them. You may have to check some of the websites on that list manually before you decide to disavow them. Make sure you disavow links only when it’s necessary.
Getting numerous links all in one go is very tempting but always remember that it’s never a good strategy that you can sustain. Cloaking, link buying and hacking promise you a lot of backlinks in a short time but the risk is far greater than the reward.
What Are Backlinks?
How Are Backlinks Used
In the simplest of terms, backlinks (sometimes called inbound links) are links to your website which have been posted on other websites. This is important because when someone clicks through to your site from another site, the search engine views it as a positive “vote” for your site.
Search engines highly associate your site’s backlinks with your site’s ability to satiate a browser’s search wishes. In other words, they are an indication to the search engine of your site’s popularity and importance.
Spam, Authority And Trust
Through links, engines can not only analyze the popularity of a website, but also metrics including spam, authority and trust. Legitimate sites tend to link to other trusted sites, while questionable sites receive very few links from trusted sources.
With links, as it is with most things, quality trumps quantity. A search engine considers the content of a site to determine whether a given link is quality. When inbound links to your site come from others sites, and those sites have content related your site, they are considered more relevant by the search engine.
Number Of Backlinks
There is no magic number of how many backlinks a site should have. Ideally you want to acquire links from reputable sites. These should be acquired at a natural and consistent pace as you develop good relationships with other webmasters.
Backlinks are easy to manipulate, but if the search engine views you to be “cheating”, you will be penalized. Because of these tactics used by some webmasters, criteria for links has become more difficult in recent years. Tactics such as hidden links or automatically generated pages called farm links are not only disregarded, but they could get your site banned from the search engine entirely.
Many webmasters who own more than one site may try interlinking their own sites. This too can backfire, as linking too many sites with the same IP address is referred to as back link bombing and will be a red flag to the search engine.
So how to you build up backlinks the right way? First, it is helpful if you are able to keep track of the sites linking back to yours. There are a number of online tools that can help you do this. Some programs can help you identify what other sites are out there that carry content similar to yours – if another website has similar content, they will be more likely to link to your site.
Another important strategy for backlinks is the use of anchor text. When a link incorporates a keyword into the text of a hyperlink, it is called quality anchor text. Instead of writing something which is irrelevant to the content such as “click here”, a savvy webmaster will write something relevant to the content of the linked page such as “blueberry pie recipe”. If you find that your site is being linked to from another website, but that anchor text is not being used properly, you should request that the website change the anchor text to something incorporating relevant keywords. This will help boost the quality of your backlink score.
Because of the importance placed on backlinks by search engines, utilizing them properly is key to your success in search engine optimization.