Outsourcing Website Design Tips – Should You Do It? Who Should You Outsource To?
Businesses all across Vancouver are constantly making decisions regarding web design outsourcing. Should they do it? If so, how much of the work should be outsourced? All of it, or parts of it? Who should they outsource the work to? If the work is undertaken by a reliable Vancouver web development firm, like Nova Solutions, businesses will have the peace of mind that everything will be handled correctly.
If you are faced with this decision for your company, you need to consider your own in-house capabilities. If you have capable designers, programmers, and developers working for you, you probably won’t need to outsource much of the work, if any at all. However, if you don’t have an experienced in-house team capable of performing all of the essential design tasks, you will have to outsource a lot of the work.
Take a long, hard look at the in-house team and their skill sets. It takes a lot more to design and develop a website than many people realize.
Here are some of the people you will need:
– Skilled graphic designer who has both the technical know-how and artistic ability it takes to design a website.
– Marketing leader who can develop a web strategy for the site and knows how to define key success metrics. Ideally, this person should have SEO knowledge.
– Professional copywriter who knows how to write winning sales pages and can help produce content for the site.
– Web developer who knows how to produce code and is capable of making the website run smoothly for different screen sizes.
– Project manager who can control the milestones and budget.
Also keep in mind that web design is an ongoing process. Even after the site is built, it will still need to be maintained. Most features and elements will need to be updated on a regular basis. Maintenance and updates aren’t something that can just be done on the side, either. Running a website is something that requires a lot of focus. If you’re not confident that your in-house team can handle ongoing web design requirements, outsourcing is something you will probably have to do.
To avoid the pitfalls that are common with outsourcing, keep these tips in mind:
– Work with a Canadian team – ideally one with a Vancouver presence. They will have a better understanding of what local businesses require. Plus, they will be closer to home and easier to get a hold of.
– Get involved in the project and communicate your needs and expectations. One of the biggest problems with IT projects is communication failure. The designers should be there to answer questions when you have them, and you should be there whenever they need input about your business requirements and what you hope to achieve with your site.
Once again, if you must outsource, work with a local company. Outsourcing web design may cost more in Canada than some other countries, but the quality and communication are a lot better, and you will have peace of mind that everything will go smoothly.