How Healthy is Your Magento store? Magento undoubtedly is one of...
Your local business needs proper SEO content to stay ahead of the competition in your area. It doesn’t mean that you should focus on getting more content. You need to develop a strategy where quality content is the focus. Let’s look at a few ways to make content work for your local business.
Thin pages are simply web pages with content that is not detailed but is rather shallow and less descriptive. You need to perform a quick audit and take note of any thin pages on your website. Long form content always works best because it provides all the details to your consumers under one roof. Search engines don’t like thin pages. You need to spend more time covering fewer topics but in detail instead of having blogs that cover a wide range of topics that are not related.
The top performing pages online are those that provide real value to users. Whether it’s a blog post or “about us” page content, you need to pay special attention to usability. Any duplicate pages with meaningless information will not perform well. Take time to write content that is not just SEO friendly but also usable.
If you don’t have the skill to write content on your own, it pays to get an SEO agency do it for you. They’ll know how to focus on readability and still come up with content that is well-optimized for search engines. Remember that the SEO content will only be effective if it shows up in relevant searches. You will not generate quality leads if the page ranks high for irrelevant searches simply because you added a bunch of keywords to your site. The main goal is not only to drive traffic to your website but also improve conversions and sales.
If you have a business in different locations, you may be tempted to come up with content for each area. This will never make you rank top for certain geo targeted keywords. You can always maximize your SEO efforts by making sure your main website has long form content that caters to all locations that you serve. Instead of coming up with lazy “about us” pages that have very few words, take your time to create content that is lengthy and informative for your users.
Just because a piece of content performed well on a competitor site doesn’t mean you have to duplicate it word for word on your web page. You need to focus on coming up with your own helpful and unique content. Websites that manage to create content that is unique and engaging will always be ranked high on search engines.
Remember that Google will also penalize you if you duplicate content. Make sure any keywords or phrases you use are also unique. Using the same keywords across multiple pages can eventually harm your rankings. Most importantly, develop an ideal content marketing strategy ahead of time.
You can avoid a drop in rankings by getting search engines to recognize your old content again. Here are a few techniques that will help:
1. Review the old content and compare it with new content. How much of the information is outdated? Make changes where relevant. Update the old information so that it is current. For instance, if you are referencing old technology, you will want to either take that reference out or modify it so that it references newer technology. This doesn’t have to take long – you can simply take out irrelevant information and add a few sentences here and there to make the content current.
2. Add references to old pages in the newer content, and vice versa. You will want all pages on your site to integrate smoothly. Tie similar pages together by linking back and forth. Give visitors the chance to learn more about certain topics by giving them access to archives.
3. Take note of the keywords you used in old content. Are you still trying to rank for those exact keywords? If the pages are no longer ranking then you might want to try other keywords. Do research to find out which ones you should be using. Test them out to determine which ones are most effective.
4. Increase the visibility of old pages. You can do this by providing links to them on the main page. Some websites only have recent updates listed on the main page – don’t make this mistake. If the users aren’t aware of the existence of the old pages, how can they be expected to visit them?
5. In addition to internal links, you need to check external links. Some of the sites that you linked to in your old content might be outdated themselves, if not outright shutdown. Stop linking to those sites; you don’t want to have any broken links on your site whatsoever. While you’re at it, make sure there are no spammy or negative websites are linking back to your pages.
6. Don’t forget about images. One way you can update old content is by adding new pictures to the page. Google Images and Pinterest drive a lot of traffic to websites – especially blogs. Optimize the new images by labeling them with a keyword.
7. Write a follow-up post. If there is too much outdated information, you can write a response post that contains updated information. Add a summary of the old content at the start of the new post. Explain how things have changed over the months or years and point out the differences. Don’t forget to add the link to the follow up post on the old page.
The right techniques for you, of course will depend somewhat on your particular site and the industry that your business is in. If you are working with SEO experts in Toronto, they will help you decide on how to best deal with old content.
There is a correlation between the length of content you publish on your website and your search rankings. Websites that have posts over 2,000 words are more likely to attain a higher search ranking. This is because search engines perceive such websites as thought leaders in their industries. The more information you provide to users, the more credibility your brand attains. This also helps you to pull in lots of organic traffic.
Whenever you post content on social media and link back to your website, you not only help in link building but also traffic to your website from different social media platforms. Content that is long and contains a detailed analysis of the subject matter is likely to be shared by different social media users. This gives your brand more exposure and also helps to establish you as an authority in the respective industry. In fact, a research that was done by Moz recently uncovered that long form content gets shared more and has more links that shorter content.
With long form content, you are able to use as many keywords as possible on the web page. This allows search engines to crawl and index your site, giving it a higher ranking because of the presence of relevant keywords. The long-form content has to be commendable and any keywords used should flow naturally in the article. If you overdo it by stuffing keywords on the content, you risk losing engagement of users and also poor rankings. Readers don’t want to read information that has keywords fixed in each sentence. Make sure the keywords you use in your long form content flow with the rest of the piece.
Using long form content can help your brand to get more leads and ultimately conversions. You can place call to actions strategically in the content to get more people to buy your product or sign up for your service. Using long form content, you can answer customer queries and help in simplifying the purchase process.
To conclude, long form content can help your business to maximize on traffic, social sharing, improve website authority and conversions. You just need to ensure you provide original, unique and interesting information that users will want to read and share. Also ensure you include relevant keywords, calls to action and answer users most FAQs. Sharing your knowledge through long form content is always worth the time and cost.